When people think about New York, they think about high-rise buildings, city life, and taxi cabs. Between the Yankees and the Mets, the Knicks and the Nets, and, yes, the Giants and the Jets, there are plenty of things to think about besides the wildlife. However, plenty of us Saratoga residents have learned the hard way that ignoring the wildlife threats to your property can cost you in more ways than one.
Common Area Pests
The first step to keeping your property safe from wildlife is getting to know the nearby threats:
- Raccoons can be identified by the black facemask they dawn over grey bodies. Known carriers of rabies, most raccoons enter your yard looking for easily accessible trash.
- Squirrels scurry up the trees in your yard looking for food, but they’re just as likely to land on your roof than head back down to the ground. Any unsecured vents or loose shingles might be the only opening they need to gain access to your house.
- Opossum like to think that being the only marsupial in North America makes them cool, but they’re really just annoying. Any easily accessible garbage or pet food will attract them onto your property.
- Rats will head straight to your house from the sewer or the landfill, so they’ll spread diseases all over your home and property. Although disgusting, rats are very intelligent and will wait for the opportune moment to sneak into your house.
- Mice might not be as smart as rats, but they make up for it with sharp teeth and small bodies that can squeeze through almost any opening. They’ll also reproduce at a very high rate, so a few can turn into a full-blown infestation quickly.
All of these pests, and plenty more, are quite abundant in our region of New York. A lot of them get labeled with the word “nuisance”, but the first time you have one on your property, you’ll quickly realize they’re much more than that. First of all, they’ll carry all sorts of bacteria into your home, putting the health of yourself and your family at risk. Rabies is also a serious concern and could easily be incurred from a squirrel or raccoon bite, not to mention the risks to your cats or dogs.
Pet owners and non-pet owners alike also need to be aware of parasites like fleas and ticks that travel with most of the wildlife in the area. Regardless of the diseases, they can carry, many of these animals can put you at risk of physical harm because of their nesting habits. As they sneak into your attic for a cool, dry, protected place to raise their babies, they can become very territorial. If you or a family member were to stumble upon their nesting sight in your basement, attic, or crawl spaces, that can become a dangerous situation quickly.
If the health risks aren’t enough to get your attention, then maybe dollar bills will. Wildlife in Saratoga County can cause expensive property damage no matter which part of town and what kind of home you live in. From roof and screen damage to lawn destruction and raided garbage cans, the local wildlife will not treat your property with the same respect that most of your guests do. If you’re not doing something to keep them out, it’s only a matter of time. Call Old School Pest Control to keep your property safe!
Once these animals find their way onto your property or into your house, you do not want to try and get rid of them yourself. However, if you stick with a few simple guidelines, you might be able to prevent wildlife invasions on your property:
- Make sure trash is tightly secured with a lid
- Don’t leave your pet food out/easily accessible
- Monitor bird feeders closely for squirrels
- Protect vulnerable areas like a pond, garden, or compost pile with a fence
- Keep the yard tidy and well-manicured
- Seal off any chimneys or roof vents to prevent entry
While these techniques can help reduce your chances of wildlife intrusion, there are no guarantees when it comes to nature. The best way to prevent wildlife issues on your property is to enlist professional pest control services. Contact Old School Pest Control today for more advice or assistance on keeping your family and property safe from pests and wildlife of all sizes. With over twenty years of experience, they are your local pest control authority with top-level services. Call them today!