Some pest problems are so common that people think they know all there is to know about how to prevent them or treat them. These common varieties can be the most dangerous, though, as destructive mice prove time and time again. Learning the proper way to prevent and treat a rodent infestation in Saratoga will help make sure you separate false confidence from proven solutions.
The Common House Mouse
Mice are some of the most common invasive pests for homeowners to have to contend with. They tend to move in during the times of the year when people get most complacent (fall and winter), they also can be tough to eliminate, which leads to far greater problems. Mice have the following traits:
- Size: Mice are smaller than rats, typically only a couple of inches in length. However, their long, bare-looking tails are often longer than the rest of them combined.
- Shape: Mice have large, round ears that rest atop their heads. Their snouts are short and triangular.
- Teeth: Like all rodents, mice have front incisors that never stop growing. Because of this, they chew on anything and everything in order to file them to a manageable length.
The Dangers Of A Rodent Problem
Mice may be small, but the problems they can bring are anything but. Not only can they cause damage and be a nuisance for homeowners, but they can also pose significant health risks. Here are just some of the problems that mice are known to cause:
- Disease: Mice are known carriers of plague, salmonella, and hantavirus, which are all serious and potentially life-threatening illnesses that require medical treatment.
- Damage: Their constant chewing means mice can damage wood, linens, and electrical wiring. Their staining urine and feces can also ruin property.
Filth: Not only can mice be direct carriers of diseases, but they also generally contribute to the filth that contaminates your home.
Why Are Mice So Hard To Get Rid Of?
One reason mice are so prevalent is that people don’t realize how tough they are to get rid of. With so much information online, it’s easier than ever to apply supposedly cheap and effective methods to a problem that you’re really only covering up. Rodents are smart, and they’ll get a lot better at hiding from view after a botched elimination attempts, meaning the problem can appear to go away but, in fact, be growing. Mice breed very quickly, and each mature female can give birth to several litters of pups every year. Killing one or two mice with a homemade trap or convenient “life hack” can give you false assurances that the problem is solved. In reality, mice populations can thrive within the walls and come back in full force if not properly dealt with.
Old School Methods Work
There’s a reason why pest control businesses have stood the test of time — they work. While you can undoubtedly find some “ingenious” and “cheap” options touted online, none of them provide the same assurances that the problem will truly be solved. Product peddlers only care about the sale, but pest professionals care about our reputation and the protection of your home and family. Rather than waste time and money on traps or baits that may not work, let a trained expert address it. At Old School Pest Control, our proven methods won’t just cover up the problem; they will solve it. If mice are already holing up in your home, it’s important to act fast and turn to professionals for more advice or assistance.
For an inspection of your home or get started on total rodent control today, contact Old School Pest Control.