What are crawling insects?
Crawling insects are those pests that can “crawl” into our homes in large numbers and, once inside, are difficult to eliminate. Crickets, pillbugs, centipedes, and millipedes are examples of crawling insects. In small populations living outside away from our home, crawling insects are harmless, and their feeding habits benefit the ecosystem. Crickets and centipedes help to control nuisance insect populations by feeding on them. Pillbugs scavenge and feed on decaying plants and animals; millipedes feed on decaying plant matter.
Are crawling insects dangerous?
In general, crawling pests are not dangerous and pose no significant risks to people or our property. Most crawling insects are more annoying than anything. They tend to move inside in large numbers and quickly become unwelcome houseguests.
In addition to being annoying, some crawling insects do pose some problems for people:
- When living inside homes, crickets may chew on and damage houseplants, clothing, furniture, and rugs.
- Millipedes spray a toxic, foul-smelling fluid as a means of defense.
- Centipedes can deliver painful bites to people.
Why do I have a crawling insect problem?
Crawling insects live most of their lives outside. However, during periods of heavy rain or hot, dry stretches of weather, they will move inside, seeking an environment that mimics their outdoor one.
These pests crawl inside of our homes through openings in the foundation, exterior walls, or through gaps under doors. They also may accidentally be introduced inside on potted plants, storage boxes, or other items.
Where will I find crawling insects?
Many crawling insects live outside in the moist soil or mulch that surrounds the exterior of homes and other buildings. They live in gardens, under landscaping ties, rock piles, woodpiles, or piles of leaves or other debris.
Those crawling insects that have moved inside take up residence in basements, crawl spaces, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and under sinks.
How do I get rid of crawling insects?
Let the professionals at Old School Pest Control get rid of crawling insects from your New York property. We put our customers first and will take the time to get to the root of your pest problem. Our pest solutions work to eliminate existing pests and will protect your New York property from them in the future.
We are a local company and have a good understanding of the pest pressures home and business owners face each day in and around Saratoga County. If you are ready to learn more about protecting your New York residential or commercial property from crawling insects, reach out to Old School Pest Control today!
How can I prevent crawling insects in the future?
In addition to our home pest control and commercial pest control services, prevent problems with crawling insects by implementing the following prevention tips:
- Leave a barrier of stone or crushed rock between mulch or soil and your home’s foundation.
- Use caulk to seal openings in the foundation and exterior walls.
- Place weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Install door sweeps on basement and other exterior doors.
- Reduce moisture levels in and around your home by using dehumidifiers and fixing leaky pipes.
- Make sure gutters are in good working order and are directing water away from the outside of your home.
- Remove leaf piles, woodpiles, and other piles of debris from your yard.