What are nuisance wildlife?
Wildlife are animals that live outside without the help of people but, as our habitats have overlapped, wild animals have become used to living close to people, sometimes relying on us for some of their food and shelter needs. Unfortunately, wildlife that have decided to turn our homes into their homes bring with them a whole set of unwanted problems. Some examples of wildlife that have become problematic and a nuisance for property owners in our area include raccoons and squirrels.
Are nuisance wildlife dangerous?
- Wildlife living on our properties can be dangerous, for a number of reasons:
- They will burrow under foundations, sheds, and garages, causing structural damage.
- Wild animals will dig through and damage lawn and gardens.
- Inside homes and garages, they will chew on and damage drywall, pipes, wires, and insulation.
- They can contaminate the inside of a home with their urine and feces.
- Many wild animals spread diseases and bacteria that make people ill.
- If threatened or cornered, they defend themselves by biting, scratching, hissing, or panicking. Wild animals have the potential to be a threat to us, our kids, and our pets.
The safest way to deal with a nuisance wildlife problem is to contact a trained professional. Wildlife control experts have the experience and equipment needed to remove wild animals from properties humanely.
Why do I have a nuisance wildlife problem?
Wild animals gravitate to yards that provide them with easy access to sources of food and protected shelter. Properties with a variety of places to forage for food are attractive to many species of wildlife. Wild animals forage for food from garbage cans, compost piles, bird feedings, and our pet’s food.
Where will I find nuisance wildlife?
Our yards provide many places for wildlife to nest or burrow, some of the most common include trees, shrubs, dense grass, and roofs. Those that move into our homes, garages, or other buildings to nest usually choose quiet areas that aren’t heavily traveled, such as wall voids, attics, basements, chimneys, and crawlspaces.
How do I get rid of nuisance wildlife?
Let the professionals at Old School Pest Control get rid of nuisance wildlife from your New York property. We put our customers first and will take the time to get to the root of your pest problem. Our wildlife control solutions work to eliminate existing pests and will protect your New York property from pests in the future.
We are a local company, and so have a good understanding of the pest pressures home and business owners face each day in and around Saratoga County. If you are ready to learn more about protecting your New York residential or commercial property from nuisance wildlife, reach out to Old School Pest Control today!
How can I prevent nuisance wildlife in the future?
Learn more about nuisance wildlife and prevent problems with nuisance wildlife by implementing the following prevention tips:
- Get rid of excess woodpiles, fallen trees, and piles of debris from your property.
- Trim back tree branches from the outside of your home.
- Repair loose window screens.
- Install caps on your chimneys.
- Fix holes along the roofline and at roof intersections.
- Install wire mesh around decks, sheds, and similar structures to stop wild animals from burrowing underneath.
- Maintain gardens, getting rid of fallen fruits and vegetables.
- Pick up uneaten pet food between feedings.
- Place trash in outdoor garbage cans and compost bins with locking lids.
- Place bird feeders well away from the outside walls of your home.